The Chattanooga Chapter of the Hearing Loss Association of America will hold its annual indoor picnic meeting from 5 to 7 p.m. Saturday in the Chattanooga State Community College CBIH building. Supporters of people with hearing loss are invited. Bring a covered dish. Visit www.hearingchattanooga.org for information, or call 894-3138.
Minority health fair
A free minorty health fair will take place from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. on Aug. 18 at Eastgate Town Center. The event is sponsored by Kappa Alpha Psi and Omega Psi Phi Fraternities, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the 28th Legislative District. Visit more than 100 vendors and participate in giveaways and hands-on activities. Erlanger will provide cholesterol, blood glucose and prostate screenings for men. There will be a fun walk from 7:30 to 8:45 a.m., and Blood Assurance will be onsite for blood donations. Registration is required for the fair, fun walk and screenings. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
Wellness open house
Four Seasons Wellness will hold its Annual Fall Open House from 6 to 9 p.m. on Sept. 28 at 6237 Vance Road, Suite 4. There will be demonstrations, vendors, discounts, food and more. For information, call Margie Wesley at 423-883-5462.
Labor Day Soiree
Parkridge East Hospital's annual Labor Day Soiree will be held at 9 a.m. on Aug. 25. The event includes a tour of The Birth Place, First Things First parenting class, panel discussion on pregnancy and newborn health, and a special "Labor Day" baby shower for expectant moms. Cost: $10 per person, limit of one guest. For information and to register by Aug. 20, call MedLine at 800-242-5662.
If you are more than 75 pounds overweight and want to participate in a research study with the new sleeve stomach plication, call 899-1000 or visit www.gastricbandinstitute.com for information.
• Baby care and safety, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road), provides guidance for caring for your baby at home. Registration fee is $25.
• Sleep disorders screening, 9-11 a.m. Tuesday, at Erlanger North (Morrison Springs Road). If you are tired after a good night's sleep, find out more with this free screening. Registration is required.
• For the above classes, call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
• Diabetes Self-Management, 3:30-8 p.m. Aug. 16, at Diabetes and Nutrition Center at Memorial Hospital. This program provides an overview of diabetes and treatment, prevention of complications, diabetes meal planning and carbohydrate counting. The center can help obtain a physician's referral and provide cost information. To register, call 495-7970.
• Mammograms: Memorial's Health Care System's Mobile Health Coach will provide mammogram screenings for women age 40 and older who haven't had one in the last 12 months, with or without insurance. Locations: Meigs County Piggly Wiggly, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Friday, 17619 State Highway 58 N., Decatur, Tenn., and McMinn County Health Department, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Saturday, 393 Showbarn Road, Athens, Tenn. For appointment, call Memorial's MaryEllen Locher Breast Center at 423-495-4040 or toll free 866-591-2254. Also available at Bradley County Health Department, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday, 201 Dooley St. SE, Cleveland, Tenn. For appointment, call 423-728-7020, ext. 0.
• Free car seat safety checks at Parkridge East campus, 10 a.m.-noon Tuesday. Come before or after your baby arrives. Held in the parking lot between the hospital and the doctor's office building, 941 Spring Creek Road, weather permitting. Registration not required. Call 855-3645 for information.
• Labor of Love Lamaze Class at Parkridge East Hospital (one-day class), 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Will cover the same information as the four-week series. A support person is recommended to join the expectant mother. Bring two pillows. Free breastfeeding class and tour of hospital. For information or to register, call MedLine at 800-242-5662 or visit ParkridgeEastHospital.com.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.