Massage Envy Spa, 345 Frazier Ave. (next to Regions Bank), will hold its Healing Hands for Arthritis event from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Wednesday, Sept. 19. $10 from every massage and facial goes to the Arthritis Foundation. Snacks, door prizes and chair massages. Donations are accepted. Walk-ins are welcome. For information, call 757-2900 or visit massageenvy.com.
"The Walk of Life" Health Fair will be from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sept. 29 at Bradley Square Mall in Cleveland. Screenings at the free event will include asthma-spirometry, blood pressure, bone scan, HIV/AIDS, dental exam, vision, hearing and others. For information, contact Jonathan Porter at 596-0740 or Oscar Kelley at 413-8768.
Amedisys Hospice Services will host a Symposium and Care Fair, "Care for the Family Caregiver," from 9 a.m. to noon on Thursday, Sept. 6, at theEastgate Senior Activity Center, 5600 Brainerd Road, Suite C. Free lunch, door prizes and exhibits. Space is limited, you must register. Call Susan at Amedisys Hospice at 499-0018.
Nutrition World will hold a free lecture from 6 to 7 p.m. Wednesday on "Vitamin Basic Training." A naturopathic doctor will cover how vitamins work, fiber and the immune system. It will be at 6201 Lee Highway in the lower level yoga studio. Call 892-4085 for reservations.
Women's Health Symposium
Parkridge Medical Center will host a Women's Health Symposium at 5:30 p.m., Oct. 2, at the Diagnostic Center, McCallie Avenue. This women-only event features dinner and a physician panel discussion. Cost is $10. Register by Sept. 25 to MedLine at 800-242-5662.
Pancreatic cancer group
The Chattanooga Affiliate of Pancreatic Cancer Action Network will meet at 6:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the community room at Memorial Hospital to discuss plans for Purple Light Vigil of Hope on Sept. 30 at Hunter Museum. For information, visit www.purplelight.org or call Emily Lewis at 894-2744. PurpleStride Chattanooga 2012 will be held Nov. 10 at First Tennessee Pavilion. Register at www.purplestride.org.
• Breast-feeding class: 6:30-9 p.m. Tuesday, at Erlanger East (Gunbarrel Road). Learn breastfeeding basics, what to expect the first weeks and tips for success. Concerns about returning to work/school discussed. Coordinated by a board-certified lactation consultant. Registration fee is $30. Call Erlanger's HealthLink at 778-5465 to register.
• Diabetes Education Class: 1:30-4:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 6, at the Erlanger Chattanooga Lifestyle Center. This class will explore ways to manage diabetes. Call 778-9400 for information on physician referral and insurance reimbursement.
• Weight loss: Attend this free bariatric seminar to learn more about the Gastric Bypass Roux-en-Y and gastric banding weight-loss procedures. Geared toward individuals at least 100 pounds overweight, the class will be from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday at Memorial Hospital's community room. Call 495-2245 for reservations.
• Vascular screening: Test provides ultrasound of carotid artery and abdominal aorta and measures circulation in the legs to help detect arterial disease, stroke and aneurysm. For ages 50 and older with one of following risk factors: family history of heart disease, vascular disease or stroke; high cholesterol or taking cholesterol medication; high blood pressure or taking blood pressure medication; diabetes; and/or current or previous smoker. Screening is Wednesday at Memorial Ooltewah Imaging Center, 6401 Mountain View Road. Reservations required. For screening dates, cost or appointment, call 495-2273, 9 a.m.-4 p.m., Monday-Friday.
• Infant/Child CPR Class, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 8, at Parkridge East Hospital. This American Heart Association class is taught by a Basic Life Support Instructor. Course covers what to do if your infant or child stops breathing or begins choking, and includes practice time on mannequins. This class is not certification for health care or day care workers.
• Tour of the Birth Place at Parkridge East Hospital, 1-2 p.m. Saturdays, Sept. 8 and 15. Tour begins in Rowe Conference Room.
• For above classes, call MedLine for information or to register at 800-242-5662 or visit ParkridgeEastHospital.com.
Gastric Band Institute will hold a free seminar on gastric banding (Lap-Band and Realize Band) and the new sleeve procedure for people 75 pounds overweight at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at Chattanooga Bariatrics, 7405 Shallowford Road. Call 899-1000 for reservations. Free insurance verification.
Items for this column are due the Friday before Thursday's publication date. Write to Linda Weaver, P.O. Box 1447, Chattanooga, TN 37401-1447; fax 668-5071; email lweaver @timesfreepress.com.