Cardinal Justin Rigali, who lives in the residence of the Catholic bishop of the Diocese of Knoxville, left earlier this week to take his place as a papal elector for the successor to Pope Benedict XVI, who retired on Thursday.
Prior to his retirement in 2011, Rigali served as the eighth archbishop of the Philadelphia, where he was appointed in 2003. From 1994 to 2003, he served as the archbishop of St. Louis, where he met now-Diocese of Knoxville Bishop Richard Stika.
Martha Boutwell, who has 30 years of experience in music ministry, is now minister of music at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church at 7634 Gann Road in Hixson.
She has served on the music faculties of Lee, Southern Adventist and Southern Wesleyan universities and Newberry College and has directed children's, youth, singles, adult and senior choirs and ensembles in South Carolina, Texas, Georgia and Tennessee.
Boutwell also has been a middle school choral director, teaches at Cadek Conservatory and maintains a home studio for teaching voice, guitar and piano.
A native of Columbia, S.C., she holds music degrees from the University of South Carolina and Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
Boutwell and her husband, the Rev. Bobby Boutwell, have three children.
• Church of the Good Shepherd, 211 Franklin Road, Lookout Mountain, Tenn.; 10 a.m.-3 p.m. today; sacred studies conference, "Jungian Psychology and the Future of Religion," led by Dr. Jerry R. Wright, Jungian analyst in private practice in Flat Rock, N.C.; $50 (includes lunch); continuing education units available; 821-1583.
• Dari-Dip, 302 W. Villanow St., LaFayette, Ga.; 11 a.m.-1 p.m. first Monday of month, beginning March 4; new Georgia Christian Society will organize events to raise funds to benefit less fortunate and pack gift baskets for missions; 706-638-0025.
• Chattanooga First Seventh-day Adventist Church, 7450 Standifer Gap Road; 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays beginning March 5 or 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays beginning March 6; several-session Bible marking class gives participants opportunities to have answers ready for various spiritual questions; 893-5105 or email drtunnell @gccsda.com.
• Free to Worship Revival Center, 9966 Lovell Road, Soddy-Daisy; 7 p.m. Friday; monthly meeting of Feeding Anointed Temples focuses on addiction to pornography and other sexual addictions; free; 650-9172.
• Memorial Auditorium, 399 McCallie Ave.; 6:30 p.m. today; 40th anniversary Paul Belcher gospel concert featuring The Inspirations, The McKameys, Michael Combs, Heirline and The Greesons; $16 and $21 (tickets available at Sonshine Christian book store in Fort Oglethorpe, Ga., or at the auditorium); 423-253-7900, 423-337-1780, 642-8497 or paulbelcher.com.
• Philadelphia Baptist Church, 1065 Pine Grove Road, Ringgold, Ga.; 6 p.m. Friday; weekly gospel singing features The Durham Family Quartet and Dana Russell; 706-891-5683.