Chattanooga: Judge sends slaying case to grand jury

Chattanooga: Judge sends slaying case to grand jury

August 30th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Deangelo Napoleon "Fookie" Justice stands in front of Judge Bob Moon during a preliminary hearing dealing with homicide charges in relation to a home invasion at 2305 E. 17th St., where two were shot, one being killed, on July 27.

Deangelo Napoleon "Fookie" Justice stands in front of...

Photo by Dan Henry /Times Free Press.

The case of two men charged with killing a 23-year-old and the woman accused of helping them is now in the hands of the Hamilton County Grand Jury.

The jury is now be tasked with determining whether Deangelo Napolean "Fookie" Justice, 22, Jerrico "Ri-Ri" Hawthorne, 24, and Laquela Bailey, 25, will be indicted in the July 27 slaying of James Williams Jr.

After a preliminary hearing this morning, General Sessions Judge Bob Moon determined there was enough evidence against the three for the case to move ahead.

Chattanooga police say Hawthorne and Justice shot Williams as many as 14 times with two guns on July 27, according to Times Free Press archives.

Officers arrested Hawthorne and Bailey at the Motel 6 at 7707 Lee Highway on July 30 and Justice on Aug. 10 at a 1900 Burton St. apartment.

Hawthorne and Justice both face charges of first-degree murder, attempted first-degree murder, reckless endangerment, aggravated assault and three counts of especially aggravated robbery in connection with Williams' death.

Bailey has been charged with accessory after the fact, meaning that police suspect she helped either Hawthorne, Justice or both men following the crime.

On July 27, police went to the 2305 E. 17th St. home of Yetta Harris just before midnight to find Williams and Harris, 38, riddled with gunshot wounds, according to court documents, archives show.

Harris' sons - Jeffrey Dunnigan, 18, and a 7-year-old boy - were inside when the shooting happened. They weren't injured, but Harris, Williams' girlfriend, still is recovering from her injuries.

Dunnigan told police he was walking into the home when two black males holding semiautomatic pistols rushed him and demanded money. One of the pair shocked him with a Taser-like device as each punched and kicked him, he told police.

Harris and Williams arrived home during the assault. Williams gave the attackers some money so they would leave. The men shot both Harris and Williams, Dunnigan said.

Read more in tomorrow's Times Free Press.