Fire destroys auto repair garage

Fire destroys auto repair garage

February 8th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Fire ravaged an auto repair garage late this morning, according to a news release from the Chattanooga Fire Department.

Chattanooga firefighters responded to a fire around 11:30 a.m. at the garage, which is located at 5611 Moody Sawyer Road.

Investigator Lt. Henry McElvain said an employee at the shop was working on a car when the vehicle slipped off the jack stand. As the car fell, the gas tank was punctured and fuel spewed out, according to the release.

McElvain said when the gas fumes reached the open flame of the shop's kerosene heater, the area ignited into flames.

The employee got out of the garage uninjured and called 911.

Chattanooga firefighters arrived moments later, but the gas-fired blaze had already gutted the building, said CDP spokesman Bruce Garner.

It also destroyed a car and tools and equipment.

The cause of the fire has been ruled accidental.