Grease catches kitchen on fire in Hixson home

Grease catches kitchen on fire in Hixson home

September 9th, 2011 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A kitchen caught fire in a Hixson home about 4 p.m. when a child was cooking and grease caught fire, officials say.

The juvenile attempted to put the fire out when the grease splashed on him and caught the cabinets on fire, Hamilton County EMS spokeswoman Amy Maxwell said. He sustained second-degree burns to his arms and neck but did not need hospitalization, she said.

Firefighters from the Dallas Bay Volunteer Fire Department were able to quickly arrive at the home, located at 6948 Love Lane, and put out the fire, containing it to the kitchen area, according to Dallas Bay Fire Chief Marcus Fritts.