Accidental kitchen fire damages Hixson duplex

Accidental kitchen fire damages Hixson duplex

May 24th, 2012 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Fire damages duplex in Hixson

Photo by Contributed Photo/Times Free Press.

Fire damages duplex in Hixson

Photo by Contributed Photo/Times Free Press.

An accidental kitchen fire at a duplex in Hixson today resulted in no injuries, but about $50,000 in damage, authorities said.

Crews responded to a duplex fire in a kitchen this afternoon at 5430 Crestview Drive, Chattanooga Fire Department spokesman Bruce Garner said.

A pan of grease was left unattended on a lit stove eye, got too hot and burst into flames, according to Capt. Anthony Moore.

The flames had already spread into the attic before firefighters could get the blaze under control, Garner said. Most of the apartment, as well as the other side of the duplex, was saved, he said.