Kitchen fire severely burns Chattanooga woman

Kitchen fire severely burns Chattanooga woman

April 2nd, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

A kitchen fire left a Chattanooga woman severely burned Tuesday evening, according to a news release.

The 41-year-old woman tried to carry a flaming pot of grease to the front door at her home at The Reserve at Creekside apartments in the 7800 block of East Brainerd Road.

Chattanooga firefighters arrived shortly after 5 p.m. Lt. David Cowden with Quint 21 said a neighbor had used a portable fire extinguisher to put out the fire before firefighters arrived on the scene.

According to Capt. Anthony Moore with the Fire Investigation Division, the woman was heating up a pot of grease on her stove when it overheated and burst into flames. She tried to carry the pot out the front door. Captain Moore believes someone held the door open for her, but that she got distracted by the flames and collided with the door, spilling the hot grease all over her.

The woman's two children were home with her but were uninjured.

She was transported to Erlanger hospital, but Moore said she was being airlifted to the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga.

No further details on the woman's identity or condition are known at this time.