Child killed in Chattanooga fire was badly burned

Child killed in Chattanooga fire was badly burned

April 9th, 2013 by Beth Burger in Local Regional News

Emergency personnel work the scene of a fatal fire that occurred April 1, 2013, on the 2000 block of Rawlings Street in East Chattanooga.

Photo by Dan Henry /Times Free Press.

Blistered skin was all that remained of a 3-year-old boy's face after he died in a house fire last week, according to a Hamilton County medical examiner's report.

Tyrell Jackson died from "inhalation of smoke and toxic products of combustion," the report states as a probable cause of death. He also suffered burns to his back, arms and legs, according to diagrams in the report.

Jackson's brother, Tyler, remains in critical but stable condition at the Joseph M. Still Burn Center in Augusta, Ga.

It's unclear what sparked the April 1 blaze that destroyed the residence at 2014 Rawlings St. Chattanooga Fire Department personnel still are investigating, said Bruce Garner, public information officer.

Investigators reported there was at least one working smoke detector in the home at the time of the fire, Garner said.

The department distributed smoke detectors after Tyrell's death last week and installed 27 detectors in neighboring homes.

Because someone was killed in the fire, Chattanooga police also are investigating.

"It's still a pending investigation," said Chattanooga police Sgt. Bill Phillips.

The boys' mother, Shondell Jackson, was outside the home when firefighters and police arrived. It remains unclear if she was inside the residence when the fire started.

She suffered burns and smoke inhalation. She was treated at a hospital and released the same day.

Tyrell's death is the second fire fatality in Chattanooga this year.