Firefighters evacuate after mold found in Chattanooga fire station

Firefighters evacuate after mold found in Chattanooga fire station

November 19th, 2013 by Staff Report in Local - Breaking News

Chattanooga Fire Station 8 is seen in this file photo.

Photo by Dan Henry/Times Free Press.

Chattanooga firefighters have evacuated Station 8 on Hickory Valley Drive after mold was discovered in the building.

The decision to temporarily relocate was made today after tests confirmed mold was present in the station.

"To ensure the health and safety of our firefighters, we believe it's prudent to move them until the matter is resolved," Chief Lamar Flint said in a news release.

An environmental cleanup company will be brought in to remove the mold and treat the building.

Meantime, the firefighters assigned to Station 8 will be housed at Station 6 on Bonny Oaks Drive. The area covered by Station 8 will be covered by firefighters at stations 6, 7 and 21, according to the release.