The Chattanooga Transportation Department has announced that a number of roads will be closed for special events.
Among the closings are:
- The curb lane of the 600 block of northbound Market Street will be closed Friday from 7 a.m. to noon for the installation and removal of the reviewing stand for the Armed Forces Parade. Market Street from Martin Luther King Boulevard to 12th Street will be closed from 8:30 to 10:45 a.m. for the Armed Forces Day Parade line up assembly. Market Street and the intersecting cross streets (one block each side of Market Street) from Martin Luther King Boulevard to Third Street will be closed from 10:30 a.m. to noon for the Armed Forces Parade. Third Street between Broad Street and Market Street and Broad Street between Aquarium Way and Third Street will be closed from 10:15 a.m. to noon for the Armed Forces Parade disbursement. All times are approximate. All streets should be open by 12:30 p.m. Parking will be prohibited on Market Street along the parade route, on Sixth Street between Market Street and Cherry Street and in the disbursement area of Third Street and northbound Broad Street. Parking in the 800 block of Broad Street and on the southbound side of 700 Broad will be reserved. Parking will reopen as soon as possible after the parade.
- Custom Street between Columbia Street and Lindsay Street will be closed from 2:00 p.m. Friday until 1 a.m. Saturday, for a block party event.
- M.L. King Boulevard between Broad Street and Georgia Avenue and Market Street between East Eighth Street and East 10th Street will be closed from 5:30 p.m. to midnight on Friday for the Nightfall Concert Series. The 800 block of Cherry Street will be closed at King Boulevard and will only be accessible from East Eighth Street. There will be limited handicapped parking in the 900 block of Georgia Avenue on the Miller Park side on the meters covered with orange "reserved" bags.
- Reggie White Boulevard between West 20th Street and the entrance to the Skate Park and West 19th Street between Reggie White Boulevard and Chestnut Street will be closed, and there will be lane closures on Market street and Broad Street around West 26th Street from 6 a.m.to 6 p.m. Saturday for the 3 State 3 Mountain Challenge. People are asked to watch for bicyclists riding the course along Broad Street, Market Street, Alton Park Blvd, Cummings Highway, St Elmo Avenue, Tennessee Avenue, West 40th Street, West 38th Street, and Wilson Road.
-Market Street traffic at East First Street will be police-controlled to aid pedestrian crossing on Saturday between 8:30 a.m. and noon for the Walk to Cure Diabetes.
- West Third Street between Broad Street and Market Street will be closed Saturday from 3:30 to 8 p.m. for the Tell Me Something Derby Party.
-Reggie White Boulevard between West 19th Street and the entrance to the Skate Park will be closed from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday for the Chattanooga Market.