GRASSLAND COMMUNITY - As the fire licked and popped, Lauren Covington could do nothing but watch the last smoldering flames consume what was once her grandparents' home this morning.
Fairmount unexpectedly caught fire at about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday. The Williamson County Fire & Rescue responded to the call and fought the blaze for hours, but the structure was a complete loss. Flames were still visible on Wednesday morning amid charred wood, smoke and three brick fireplaces with chimneys still towering in the air.
"This was my grandparents' old homestead. I just don't know what to say," said Covington.