Antebellum home on Old Natchez Trace lost in flames

Antebellum home on Old Natchez Trace lost in flames

January 29th, 2014 by The Tennessean in Local - Breaking News

Fairmount, also known as The Stokely Davis House, a home built sometime before 1850 on Old Natchez Trace in northern Williamson County, burned today, Jan. 29, 2014. The flames were still active this morning. / Bonnie Burch / The Tennessean

Photo by The Tennessean /Times Free Press.

GRASSLAND COMMUNITY - As the fire licked and popped, Lauren Covington could do nothing but watch the last smoldering flames consume what was once her grandparents' home this morning.

Fairmount unexpectedly caught fire at about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday. The Williamson County Fire & Rescue responded to the call and fought the blaze for hours, but the structure was a complete loss. Flames were still visible on Wednesday morning amid charred wood, smoke and three brick fireplaces with chimneys still towering in the air.

"This was my grandparents' old homestead. I just don't know what to say," said Covington.

Read more at The Tennessean.