Family seeks $10 million in son Myles Compton's death

Family seeks $10 million in son Myles Compton's death

February 16th, 2012 by Steve Hardy in News

Myles Stout waits to appear in court in this file photo. Stout is charged with second degree murder in the shooting death of Myles Compton.

Photo by John Rawlston /Times Free Press.

The family of an 18-year-old shot to death at a party by a 20-year-old acquaintance has filed a $10 million wrongful death lawsuit.

In the suit, filed in Hamilton County Circuit Court on Wednesday, the family of Myles Compton lists five defendants, including Myles Stout, now 21, who is accused of shooting Compton and trying to hide the evidence, and his friend Kevin Driscoll, who police say gave Stout the gun, knowingly let him load it and hid extra rounds before the police investigation.

Also named are Driscoll's parents, Jerry and Patricia, who own the gun and are accused of allowing minors to drink in their East Brainerd home the night Compton was killed; and Mapco Express Inc., one of whose local stores is accused of knowingly selling alcohol to minors.

The Comptons' attorney, Amelia Roberts, declined to comment until the conclusion of Stout's criminal trial, which is set to begin March 6. He faces charges of second-degree murder, reckless endangerment and reckless homicide.

Kevin, Jerry and Patricia Driscoll were not charged in the shooting.

Mike Little, one of the attorneys representing Stout in Criminal Court, declined to comment. He said it is currently unknown who will represent Stout in civil court.

On March 9, 2011, Stout and Driscoll were at the Driscoll house with friends, drinking beer they had bought from a friend at the Mapco Express on Standifer Gap Road, according to the suit. Teens "could drink openly" at the Driscoll residence, the suit states.

Kevin Driscoll called a friend who was with Compton at the time and invited them to the house to see his family's handguns. Once Compton was at the home, they went into Kevin Driscoll's room, where he produced Smith & Wesson and Sig Sauer semi-automatic handguns, according to the suit. Kevin Driscoll examined the Sig Sauer to ensure that it was unloaded.

Stout then picked up the gun, and Driscoll heard it being loaded, the suit states. Stout pointed the gun at several guests, including Compton, who put his hands in the air. Stout pushed the gun into his chest and fired, according to the suit.

Witnesses remembered Compton saying, "My heart," before sinking to the ground.

Stout and Driscoll then hid the beer cans and disposed of extra ammunition in the back yard, the suit claims.

When questioned by police, Stout said Compton shot himself and urged other witnesses to say the same, according to the suit.

He later admitted to shooting Compton.

Calls to the Driscolls and Mapco Express were not returned by press time.