Wow, what a weekend.
College football galore. Birthday party for the 5-at-10 Jr., who turns 7 in coming days. NFL news and meaningful baseball. This is a glorious sports time.
Since this is a holiday - and we are on No. 1,006 of consecutive Mondays-Fridays trotting out 5 things at 10 a.m. (Hey, 5-at-10, that's a catchy title) - lets go quickly with 5 winners or losers from the weekend.
1. Tennessee football fans. Winners. Everyone Johnny Vols Fan we know was genuinely worried about the season-opener against Utah State, and considering Vegas had UT a four-point pick an hour before kickoff, there was reason for concern. And yes, Jomo, is going to remind everyone that it was Utah State after all, and that's fine, but we have said since SEC media days that this was the biggest game on UT's schedule because of what a season-opening loss would mean inside the locker room and across the fan base. So Sunday's impressive 38-7 whipping was a much-needed jolt of energy and positive reinforcement for UT backers everywhere.
2. Todd Gurley's Heisman hopes. Winner. Dude looked awesome in his awesomeness. He was the best player we saw this weekend and in retrospect it was not that close. Plus, for the Johnny Bulldogs Fans among us, congrats on having a DC who actually made adjustments and used the halftime for something more than snacks and Co-Colas. Well-played Jeremy Pruitt.
3. The SEC West. Winner. The only SEC West team to lose was Arkansas, which lost at SEC heavyweight Auburn. And when Texas A&M - picked no better than fifth in the preseason in the division - hammers SEC East favorite South Carolina, well, best of luck surviving the shark invested waters of football's best division this side of the NFC West.
4. People who followed the 5-at-10's Fab 4-plus-1 picks. Winners. We hit four picks - Georgia, Tennessee, Ole Miss and Ohio State - and we need a clarification from the gallery on the fifth pick. When we posted liking LSU minus-5 on Thursday, we were confident. The line fell to 3 before kickoff. LSU won by 4, so we lost Thursday's pick but anyone who had entertainment on it Saturday night won. So we're counting our week as 4-1, and some people who took out advise went 8-0 considering we picked BYU minus-18 on Friday and Mississippi State minus-31 on Saturday and escaped with Tusla over Tulane on late Thursday. Entertainment for everyone.
5. Auburn's quarterback situation. Winners. Jeremy Johnson looked super sharp throwing the ball. Nick Marshall played the second half and the Tigers offense took off. Man, you know, that Gus Malzahn may know a thing or three about offense.
So who was your winners or losers this weekend. And yes, we'll check back and they can be from arena outside of college football.