Scott Gillespie's bases-loaded single to right field in the bottom of the ninth inning gave Covenant College a 4-3 victory over visiting Piedmont as their USA South baseball series got under way Friday on Lookout Mountain.
Chris Rollins homered, scored twice and pitched two scoreless innings of relief for the win, after starter Micah Mabe allowed two earned runs on seven hits with six strikeouts in his seven innings for the Scots (7-5, 4-3). Rollins scored the winning run after being hit by a pitch and advancing on K.C. Simons' single, Will Cleland's sacrifice bunt and an intentional walk for David Lockwood.
Gillespie went 2-for-4 as the only Scot with multiple hits. Breck Davidson was 2-for-3 and Griffin Olson was 2-for-4 for Piedmont (12-4, 5-2). The teams play a doubleheader starting at noon today.
* Lee 10, Tiffin 1: At Cleveland, the host Flames improved to 17-7 as Derrick Pitts went 2-for-4 with a triple and three RBIS, Zacary Hawkins drove in two runs and Jordan Stewart went 2-for-3 with an RBI and a run. Josh Silver scored twice from his leadoff spot for Lee, and Jeremy Stawychny allowed three hits while striking out seven batters in his seven innings with Aaron Ashby adding three strikeouts while giving up two hits in the last two innings.
* Bryan 10, St. Andrews 7: At Laurinburg, N.C., the Lions had two four-run innings to one for St. Andrews in the opener of the Appalachian Athletic Conference weekend series, as Cody Rhinehart, Joey Wallace and Crandon Wallace each went 3-for-5 with a combination of four runs scored and batted in.
Tyler Latham was 2-for-2 with an RBI and Preston King and Hunter Tipton each had two hits also for Bryan (16-10, 6-1), and L.J. Rowden was the winning pitcher. Michael Luing and Daniel Whitecavage homered for St. Andrews (11-9, 3-4).
* Volunteer State 10-10, Cleveland State 9-5: At Gallatin, Tenn., the hosts rallied to win both TCCAA games, the first one with a three-run ninth ended by a wild pitch after the Cougars scored two in the top of the inning. Jake Wright was 2-for-4 with three RBIs and Janson Roberson had a two-run double in the first game for Cleveland State (12-12, 4-7), when Chris Caffrey was 2-for-5 and Evan Speicher and Cameron Strickland each scored twice.
Dalton Rogers was 2-for-3 with a homer in game two for the Cougars, while Dalton Davis homered for the second straight game and matched Riley McCown's three RBIs for Vol State (13-11).
* Walters State 7-9, Chattanooga State 0-0: At Morristown, the nationally 10th-ranked Senators went to 21-7 overall and 10-1 in the TCCAA with Friday's sweep. Andy Clay had the only hit off Brent Honeywell for the Tigers (13-8, 6-5) in the first game, and Clay, Jay Rhoten, Ryan Whitt and Tyler Hendley each had one hit off Andrew Gist in game two.
* Oglethorpe 6-11, Sewanee 3-4: At Atlanta, the Tigers fell to 5-10 with the Southern Athletic Association losses after a 6-5 defeat by the Stormy Petrels on Thursday. Ben Clune scored twice on Thursday for Sewanee, and Tony Dykes was 2-for-4 with an RBI in Friday's first game. Zack Sutton homered in defeat in the finale.
Lady Cougars win
The Cleveland State softball team won 10-1 and 9-7 in TCCAA games Friday at Motlow. That improved the Lady Cougars to 7-17 overall, 4-10 in league play.
* St. Francis 7-0, Bryan 3-8: At Hardeeville, S.C., Bryan improved to 12-9 with the second-game win as Taylor Yates was 3-for-4 with two RBIs, Olivia Gore homered, tripled, scored three runs and drove in two and Heather Daniel had two hits and two RBIs behind Sarah Hundley's three-hit pitching. Katie Vaughn went 2-for-3 in the Lady Lions' loss.