The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga's run in the NCAA wrestling tournament in Oklahoma City came to a halt Friday afternoon when Nick Soto lost in the third round of consolations. The 133-pound junior was pinned by Michigan's Rosa Bruno in 4:47. Soto won 10-7 over Nick Smith of Northern Illinois in the morning while 165-pound Corey Mock lost 3-1 to Iowa's Nick Moore. The Mocs' Alex Hudson (157), Levi Clemons (174) and Dawson Peck (285) were eliminated Thursday night. UTC, the Southern Conference regular-season and tournament champion, finished 45th with 3.5 points.
• L.J. Rowden from Soddy-Daisy pitched Bryan College to a 9-2 win at Tennessee Wesleyan in the first game Friday of their Appalachian Athletic Conference weekend baseball series. Grant Zawadzki went 3-for-5 and Hunter Tipton was 2-for-4, each with an RBI, and Cody Rhinehart, Justin Morhardt and Crandon Wallace batted in two runs apiece for Bryan (19-12, 7-3), which scored six runs in the top of the first inning and added a three-run eighth. For TWC (15-13-1, 6-3), Brad Carpenter was 3-for-3 with a home run and a triple and Logan Dalton and Matt Malloy each was 2-for-4.
• Cody Puckett and Kierce Kimbel combined to pitch a five-hitter as Columbia State defeated Cleveland State 4-1 in the first game of their three-game TCCAA baseball series Friday in Cleveland. Tyler Fullerton and Josh Wilson each homered among three hits for the Chargers (17-8), while Western Kentucky commitment Zack Janes had an RBI single for the Cougars (13-13).
• Mike O'Neil and relief pitchers Charlie Morrow and Marshall Ussery combined on a five-hitter and catcher Ryan Poole went 3-for-4 as the Sewanee baseball team defeated New England College 4-0 on Thursday in Auburndale, Fla. Michael Walker had two hits and two RBIs and Ben Clune had two hits and scored twice for the Tigers (7-12) in a 5-3 loss to Kalamazoo as the RussMatt Invitational continued Friday.
• Former Ooltewah High School volleyball player Kianna Delaney is transferring to Dalton State College from Wallace State Community College in Hanceville, Ga., where she is the reigning region player of the year and region tournament most valuable player, and Wendy Perez from Southeast Whitfield High School also signed paperwork this week to join the Roadrunners program. Delaney is a 5-foot-10 middle hitter who started three years for coach Elaine Peigen at Ooltewah. She was the district tournament MVP as a senior and was second-team all-region as a Wallace State freshman. She stepped up her game this past fall with conference highs of 485 kills, 3.03 kills per set and 137 blocks. Perez started on Southeast teams that reached the Georgia final 16 her sophomore and senior seasons and the final four her junior year. A Dalton all-area player in 2012 and 2013, she totaled 799 kills, 377 digs, 132 blocks and 95 aces in her Raiders career. "She became a dominant threat on the front row in an extremely short amount of time," Southeast coach Bethany Kenemer said in a DSC release.
• The Sewanee field hockey team was honored this week with a 2013 Gladiator SGI/NFHCA Academic Award, and Tigers players Carrie Anderson, Zuie Billings, Tilden Davis, Margaret Knudsen, Mary Kate McAlister, Kat Mulligan and Caroline Williams made the 2013 Division III national academic team. The players' honor required a 3.3 grade point average on a 4.0 scale for the fall semester.
• There is a rarity for a Rock/Creek Trails Series race this morning -- available spots for race-day registration. Runners can sign up from 7 to 8 a.m. EDT for either the 10.2-mile River Gorge race starting at 8:30 or the 6.5-mile option starting at 9 at Mullens Cove in the Prentice-Cooper State Forest accessed by Suck Creek Road; entry fee is $50. See www.rockcreek.com.