* Fireside free outdoor concert series: Thursdays in October, 7-9 p.m., Greenway Farm's Sniteman Log Cabin; The Von Wamps tonight, Caney Creek Company Oct. 12, Cannon Hunt Oct. 19, Randy Steele Oct. 26; part of Community Campout on Oct. 12-13, 2 p.m.-10 a.m.; $30 per site for up to 5 people; registration ends Tuesday. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-6888.
* Soddy-Daisy chapter of Tennessee Trails Association hikes: Saturday, Chickamauga Battlefield, moderate 7 miles (meet at 9 a.m. at Food City parking lot in Red Bank; call Trish Appleton at 240-3443); Tuesday, White Oak Mountain, moderate 4.5 miles (meet at 9 a.m. at Target parking lot on Hwy. 153; call Donna Pyers at 352-812-4845); Oct. 13-15, TTA annual meeting, DuBose Conference Center, Monteagle; Oct. 17, Camp Jordan Park, easy 4 miles (meet at 9 a.m. at Target lot on Hwy. 153; call Bob McGavock at 667-2960.
* Mountain to Town bike adventure: Saturday, 10 a.m., beginner-friendly Guild Trail to Tennessee Riverwalk in St. Elmo and on into downtown; about 2 hours, ages 12-up; shuttle & instruction (& mountain bike, too, if needed) provided by Outdoor Chattanooga; $25. Pre-registration required at email@example.com or 643-6888.
* Sunset strolls to Sunset Point: Saturdays through November, 5-9 p.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; meet at West Rim access parking lot, fee $5. ranger-guided, start times vary with time of sunset (check for specifics at visitor center). Call 706-657-4050.
* Beginner mountain bike rides: Sundays through November, 9 a.m., Cloudland Canyon State Park; ages 13 to adult, bikes available for rental from visitor center, helmets required, $10-$15. Call 706-657-4050.
* Adaptive cycling program: Monday, 5:30 p.m., from Hubert Fry Center at Tennessee Riverpark; sponsored by SPARC & city of Chattanooga therapeutic recreation division; recumbent 3-wheelers, hand cycles & tandem bikes available; free but pre-registration required through Jerry at firstname.lastname@example.org or 596-5268 or Elaine at email@example.com or 697-1345. Also, volunteers email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Tennessee Valley Canoe Club meeting: Tuesday, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park.
* Sunset night hike at Stringer's Ridge: Wednesday, 6:30-8 p.m.; about 3 miles round trip; free, beginner-friendly, guided by Outdoor Chattanooga personnel; appropriate for ages 8-up, with adult; reservations required. Call 643-6888.
* Local Tennessee Ornithological Society meeting: Oct. 12, 7 p.m., Ascension Lutheran Church, 720 S. Germantown Road. Contact David Stone at email@example.com or 238-4234.
* Harrison Bay Star Party: Oct. 14, 7-11 p.m.; hosted by Barnard Astronomical Society; chance to learn about "Scary Astronomy and Superstitions" & look through telescopes for free.
* Family Funday at Greenway Farm: Oct. 15, 3-6 p.m.; canoeing ($25, 3-5 p.m.), archery, hiking; for all activities, meet at archery range next to dog park. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 643-6888.
* Chattanooga Bicycle Club meeting: Oct. 16, 6-7 p.m., Outdoor Chattanooga, Coolidge Park.
* Chickamauga Battlefield free bike tour: Oct. 21, 9:30 a.m., leisurely 2 hours from visitors center with history talks; adults & kids ages 8-up (with adult) welcome; helmets required. Bicycles can be reserved by calling 706-866-9241.
* Interscholastic Climbing League: Organizing for high school & middle school teams to compete in six meets through the winter with High Point Climbing downtown, Riverside & Tennessee Bouldering Authority as partner-hosts; team needs at least 5 students plus a coach or team sponsor, but individuals from schools without teams can contact Outdoor Chattanooga at email@example.com or 643-6888.