KNOXVILLE - Last year's overwhelming favorite to win the SEC East has been tabbed to finish a distant third in the division this year by media covering the conference.
Tennessee picked up just three out of 242 first-place votes, fewer than Georgia (138), Florida (96) and South Carolina (5) in the totals from SEC media days released by the league Friday. Tennessee received 998 points overall, behind Georgia and Florida in the division.
Alabama was picked to win the West and the conference again.
The Volunteers were the big favorites in their division before the 2016 season but stumbled down the stretch with losses to South Carolina and Vanderbilt, opening the door for Florida to win the East.
Tennessee coach Butch Jones stopped short of calling the 2016 season a disappointment during Tennessee's turn Monday at media days in Hoover, Ala.
"The way I view it is we didn't accomplish everything we set ourselves out to," Jones said. "And, again, our goal every year is to win a championship and compete to win a championship. So, was it a disappointment? No. Did we not accomplish some of the things we set out to do? Absolutely. We have to learn from the things that went wrong that we could have done better."
Tennessee had four players chosen to preseason All-SEC teams after having nine chosen last year.
Contact David Cobb at email@example.com.
Read more SEC Media Days stories
- Crimson Tide picked to roll through SEC again
- Tennessee gets fewer first-place votes than South Carolina
- SEC football coaches to be more confined this season
- Greeson: Ole Miss's deep troubles continue to grow
- Optimistic Gus Malzahn senses hunger in his Auburn team
- Former pro baseball player thriving as South Carolina tight end
- Tight end John FitzPatrick commits to Georgia
- Nick Saban on Clemson loss: 'Hopefully we won't waste a failure'
- Texas A&M Aggies coach Kevin Sumlin knows he's coaching for his job
- Kentucky's Stoops was surprised by brother's decision
- Georgia's Kirby Smart not concerned by low recruiting rank
- Georgia's Nick Chubb eager to validate his decision to return
- Greeson: Derek Mason leading Vandy charge with connection [video]
- Beating the Vols took Vanderbilt 'to a different spot' [video]
- Dan Mullen still has goals to achieve at Mississippi State
- SEC faces strong challenges as college football's top dog
- Butch Jones, Tennessee players defend program's progress [video]
- Wiedmer: Can positive leadership from coach Butch Jones lift the Vols? [video]
- Coach Ed Orgeron says LSU welcomes tests against Tide and the rest
- Arkansas Razorbacks embarrassed by last season's finish
- Vols' coach Butch Jones open to two-quarterback situation [video]
- SEC Media Days 'once in a lifetime opportunity' for Tennessee players
- Wiedmer: SEC a very rich league growing even richer
- 5 stories ahead of SEC media days