Fireworks likely started a house fire Wednesday night

Fireworks likely started a house fire Wednesday night

July 12th, 2018 by Staff Report in Breaking News

Fireworks are being blamed for a reported structure fire at 1109 Greenwood Road.

Photo by Battalion Chief David Thompson Jr.

Fireworks are being blamed for a fire Wednesday that damaged a Chattanooga home.

Shortly after 7 p.m., Chattanooga firefighters responded to a reported structure fire at 1109 Greenwood Road, according to a news release. A neighbor had seen smoke coming from the home and used a garden hose to spray the fire until firefighters arrived. Firefighters then used a hand-held hose to extinguish the fire. 

Battalion Chief David Thompson Jr. said that after further investigation, it was determined the fire started on the front porch roof. The ceiling of the front porch was removed and several hidden hot spots were extinguished. The cause of the fire is being ruled accidental, but fire officials said it most likely was started by fireworks being set off in the area, the release states. 

No injuries were reported.