* Downtown -- The Chamber will have Ben Brock, president of Astec Industries, as the featured speaker Thursday at a downtown meeting to be held at the Sheraton Read House, 827 Broad St. The meeting begins at 7:30 a.m. Breakfast is $10 for members, $12 for non-members.
* Southside -- The Chamber will have Jim Joyner, dean of lean/quality at Card-Monroe Corp., as the featured speaker Thursday on the Southside. The event will be a noon luncheon at the South Chattanooga Recreation Center, 1151 W. 40th St. Lunch will be $10.
* IRS Center -- The IRS Center at 5740 Uptain Road will be open today from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. to assist people who are having difficulties meeting their tax obligations because of unemployment or other financial problems. A news release said the added hours will alllow people to work directly with the IRS employees in attempting to resolve issues that may be facing for the first time this year.
* Small Business Orientation -- The counselor on Thursday discusses basic business planning including financial projections and legal entity. It will take place at the Tennessee Small Business Development Center, 100 Cherokee Blvd., from 5:30 to 7 p.m. The event is free. Call 756-8668 to register or for more information.
* Business Advice -- Free business help is available from members of SCORE, Counselors to America's Small Business, from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Monday through Wednesday at the Franklin Building, suite 515, 5726 Marlin Road, at Eastgate Town Center. For more information, call 553-1722.