CHI Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga ranks as the second best hospital among the 133 hospitals in Tennessee, according to a new analysis of hospital performance by U.S. News and World Report.
Only Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville ranked higher than Memorial in the new magazine study of hospital outcomes and services.
CHI Memorial, which included both Memorial's main hospital in Glenwood and the CHI Memorial in Hixson, received a 'high performing' rating in eight surgical procedures and chronic conditions evaluated by U.S. News: abdominal aortic aneurysm repair, COPD, colon cancer surgery, heart bypass surgery, heart failure, hip replacement, knee replacement, and lung cancer surgery. U.S. News & World Report, which has prepared the annual hospital rankings for the past three decades, has ranked CHI Memorial hospital as the second best hospital in Tennessee behind only Vanderbilt for each of the past four years.
"We are an award-winning organization because of our staff, physicians, and volunteers," CHI Memorial Hospital Janelle Reilly said in a statement Monday.
CHI Memorial is the only Chattanooga hospital listed among the Best Hospitals in Tennessee for 2021.
Best hospitals in Tennessee
1. Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville
2. CHI Memorial Hospital in Chattanooga
3. Ascension St. Thomas Hospital-West in Nashville
3. Baptist Memorial Hospital in Memphis
3. University of Tennessee Medical Center
6. Jackson-Madison County General Hospital
7. Methodist Hospitals of Memphis
7. Parkwest Medical Center in Knoxville
7. TriStar Centennial Medical Center
10. Ascension St. Thomas Hospital-Midtown in Nashville
10. Fort Sanders Regional Medical Center in Knoxville
10. Holston Valley Medical Center in Kingsport
Source: The U.S. News Best Hospitals analysis reviews hospitals' performance in adult and pediatric clinical specialties, procedures and conditions. Scores are based on several factors, including survival, patient safety, nurse staffing, and more.