• Applebee's Flapjack Fundraiser: Applebee's, 401 Market St., 8-10 a.m., $5, proceeds benefit 10/40 Connections' Lunch Change Initiative to help children and families in Indian slums. email@example.com.
• Catoosa County Democratic Party: Apple Pie Rally at Davis Cattle Ranch, 1240 Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, Ringgold, Ga., noon-2 p.m., free. Public invited to meet local Democratic candidates; speakers include Michael Thurmond, former labor commissioner, and Stacey Godfrey Evans, state district representative. 770-826-8644.
• Daylilies class: Ooltewah Nursery, 5829 Ooltewah-Ringgold Road, 11 a.m., free seminar by Ruby Sunday on growing daylilies, hosta, ferns.
• Gospel benefit: Catoosa Colonnade, Ringgold, Ga., 6 p.m., $5, proceeds will support Harvest Outreach Ministries of Dalton, Ga. Performers include Terry Weeks, Brett Hill, Gary Winningham, Renay Jarvis Lee and the Terry Luna Trio.
• Health fair: Bradley Square Mall, 200 Paul Huff Parkway, Cleveland, Tenn., 10 a.m.-2 p.m., free community event sponsored by 100 Black Men of Bradley County. Health screenings, voter registration, free information. 423-472-5080.
• Vann House event: Open house at circa-1800s Chief Vann House, Georgia Highway 225, three miles west of Chatsworth, Ga., 10 a.m.-4 p.m., free admission. 706-695-2598
• Celebration of Hope: Coolidge Park, 3-7:30 p.m., free. Special event for single moms and their children includes music by Woodland Park Baptist Church Choir and Vince Carr, children's activities, food from 3:30-4:30 p.m. 493-0288.
• Purple Light Chattanooga: Hunter Museum of American Art, 10 Bluff View, 6 p.m., free. Candlelight ceremony for victims of pancreatic cancer and current patients. www.purplelight.org.
• Candidate meet-and-greet: Eastgate Town Center, 5600 Brainerd Road, 5-7 p.m., free and visitors welcome. Brainerd Unity Group sponsors meet and greet with candidates from 5-5:45 p.m. Hamilton County Election Commission representatives give overview of current voting laws at 5:45-6:15 p.m. Forum featuring state and congressional candidates at 6:15 p.m. with Joe Lance as moderator. 509-9142.
• Catoosa County Tea Party: Boynton Voting Precinct, 4057 Boynton Drive, Ringgold, Ga., 6:30 p.m., visitors welcome. Program on Adopt-a-State plans. 706-937-3155.
• MacDowell Music Club: Brainerd Baptist Church sanctuary, 300 Brookfield Ave., 10:30 a.m., free musical program by Susan Whitacre, Rachel Bechmann, Virginia Marion, Kim Keck, Dr. Sigrid Luther and Margaret Randolph. 280-6783
• Diabetes Sisters kickoff: First Church of the Nazarene, 5455 North Terrace, 6:30 p.m., free and visitors welcome. Chattanooga Diabetes Sisters kickoff meeting for women with type 1 and type 2 diabetes, hosted by Partners & Peers for Diabetes Care. www.diabetessisters.org
• Horseshoe tournament: Marcella Center for Arts and Education, 117 Washington Road, Sweetwater, Tenn., 10 a.m. registration, 11 a.m. tournament begins, bring your own partner. Entry fee $5 per person. 423-351-1060.
• Kudzu Festival: North Shore business district, more than 50 events from Friday through Oct. 7 presented by North Shore Merchants Collective. Saturday street parade along Frazier Avenue at 10 a.m., Kudzu Ball at 8 p.m. at Chattanooga Theatre Centre. www.kudzufestival.com.
• Yard sale: 6738 Hickory Brook Road, 8 a.m.-1 p.m., yard sale to benefit Richmont Community Center. 648-2423.