This story was originally published on Sept. 3. It was updated Friday, Sept. 4, 2020, at 8:35 p.m. with more information.
It's not just unpredictable weather event organizers are facing down for their fall festivals this year. As the coronavirus remains a threat, schedules are in flux more this year than at any other time. Many bedrock events of the fall calendar have already canceled, and others may be subject to change as the season progresses.
Here's a look at what's on the books now. Check the Times Free Press each Thursday for the latest updates. Send events not listed here, or revisions, to Life@timesfreepress.com.
It's wise to check websites for the latest safety precautions. Many events require that face masks be worn, and social distancing will be observed.
- Labor Day Car & Motorcycle Show: Walker County Civic Center, 10052 U.S. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga. Dunk-A-Cop, games for kids, barbecue vendor, 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Car show registration, 8-11:30 a.m. Benefits Al Millard Memorial Stocking Full of Love of Walker County. 706-638-1909, ext. 1276; email@example.com.
- Crafts at the Colonnade: 264 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga. Vendor market, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Free. https://www.kssouthernhospitalityevents.com/
- Fall Market: Collegedale Commons, 4950 Swinyar Drive. New name and venue for festival last year known as Oktoberfest in Ooltewah, with art, craft, specialty product and food vendors, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Free. https://touchtheskyevents.com
- Nine Lakes Wine Festival: Melton Lake Park, 697 Melton Lake Drive, Oak Ridge, Tenn. Six wineries hosting open-air market featuring Tennessee wines not available in stores (no tastings due to COVID-19 restrictions), artisan vendors, food trucks, 3-7 p.m.; VIP entrance at 2 p.m. Portion of proceeds benefits United Way of Anderson County. $10 ticket includes souvenir glass; advance online purchase recommended. www.NineLakesWineFestival.com
- Sunflower Stables Barn Sale & Market: Collegedale Commons, 4950 Swinyar Drive. Upscale crafts, vintage, antiques, clothing, seasonal decor, furniture, food and farmers market, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Free admission. https://www.facebook.com/sunflowerstablesbarnsaleandmarket/
- Fall Heritage Festival: Downtown Cowan, Tenn. Arts and crafts, 5-9 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday (all times Central). Fireworks at 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Free admission and parking. https://www.fallheritagefestival.info/
- Festival!: Creative Arts Guild, 520 W. Waugh St., Dalton, Ga. Outdoor art market, indoor patron exhibit, self-guided tours of sculpture garden, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; free admission (first hour reserved for seniors and high-risk patrons). Opens with preview party and Taste of Dalton, 7-9 p.m. Thursday; $55 ticket. www.creativeartsguild.org
- Marsh House Heritage Day: Marsh House Museum, 308 N. Main St., LaFayette, Ga. Heritage crafts and arts, old-time bake sale featuring family recipes, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Free admission; $5 tours of the circa 1836 house. Free booth spaces for crafters and artists (706-764-2801). http://marshhouseoflafayette.org/
- Valley Fest: Chattanooga Valley Church of the Nazarene, 2853 Chattanooga Valley Road, Flintstone, Ga., walking track beside the church. Craft fair and car show hosted by the church and Chattanooga Valley Lions Club with music by Rightpath Bluegrass, 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Free. 423-424-9891.
- Walker County Ag Festival: Walker County Ag Center, 10052 N. Highway 27, Rock Spring, Ga. Only youth rabbit, poultry and goat/lamb shows will be held; all other events canceled. 706-375-7917
- Arts Festival at Rose Lawn: Rose Lawn Mansion, 234 W. Cherokee Ave., Cartersville, Ga. Fine art and heritage crafts, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday. Free admission to festival, $7 to tour historic mansion. http://www.roselawnmuseum.com/arts_festival_and_rose_lawn/index.php
- Mistletoe Merchants: Farm Bureau Expo Center (formerly Wilson County Expo Center), 945 E. Baddour Parkway, Lebanon, Tenn. Events including Cupcakes & Cocktails, Muffins & Mimosas, Sangria Sunday and the silent auction have been canceled. Shopping among 100 merchants open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday (all times Central). $10 one-day ticket, $18 three-day pass, free for children 12 and younger. https://www.midsouthmediagroup.com/mistletoe-merchants-of-nashville-tn
SEPT. 25-27 and OCT. 2-4
- North Georgia State Fair: Jim Miller Park, 2245 Callaway Road, Marietta. Most events are canceled, but at least 15 food vendors will offer a Taste of the Fair with drive-thru or walk-up service starting at 4 p.m. each Friday and at noon Saturdays and Sundays. Free admission and parking. Donate seven nonperishable canned goods to Must Ministries to receive a free ticket to the 2021 fair. https://www.northgeorgiastatefair.com/
SEPT. 25-OCT. 31
- Harvest Festival and Great Pumpkin LumiNights: Dollywood, 2700 Dollywood Parks Blvd., Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Features artistic sculptures, elaborate fall scenes, artisans, seasonal food, entertainment. $79 ages 10-61, discounts for younger and older guests. www.dollywood.com
- Pumpkin Palooza: Greenway Park and Pavilion, 755 Raider Drive, Cleveland, Tenn. Family festival with free games and book making/storytelling for kids, $3 pick-and-paint pumpkin patch, live entertainment, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Free. https://familycornerstones.wordpress.com
SEPT. 28-OCT. 3
- DeKalb County VFW Agricultural Fair: VFW Hall, 151 18th St. NW, Fort Payne, Ala. Kissel Entertainment midway will be open; limited livestock shows. www.dekalbcountyvfwfair.com
- Boaz Harvest Festival: Old Mill Park, 10315 Alabama Highway, Boaz, Ala. Street fair with crafts, children's area, contests and antique car, tractor and engine show, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. CDT Friday-Saturday. Free. https://alabama.travel/upcoming-events/boaz-harvest-festival
' Morris Hill Craft Market: Morris Hill Baptist Church gym, 1804 Morris Hill Road. 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday. Free. 423-596-5134
- Bluff Park Art Show: Bluff Park Community Center, 517 Cloudland Drive, Hoover, Ala. Works by 150 artists, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. CDT. Free. www.bluffparkartassociation.org
- Catoosa County Fall Festival: Northwest Georgia Amphitheatre, 220 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga. Food and craft vendors, 3-6 p.m. 706-891-4199.
OCT. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31
- Fall fun: Cloudland Canyon State Park, 122 Cloudland Canyon Park Road, Rising Fawn, Ga. Hayrides tentatively scheduled Saturdays in October; movies in the park Oct. 24. https://friendsofcloudlandcanyon.org/
- Gatlinburg Craftsmen's Fair: Convention Center, 234 Historic Nature Trail, traffic light No. 8 on Gatlinburg Parkway, Gatlinburg, Tenn. Handmade products, artisan demonstrations, music, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily. $10 adults. https://craftsmenfair.com/october-fair/
- Craft/Bake Sale: Cloud Springs Baptist Church, 210 Cloud Springs Road, Fort Oglethorpe, Ga. Benefit for church's Golden Agers group, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Free admission. 706-866-0164
- Black Bear Festival: Old Murray County Rec Department (new location), 745 W. Chestnut St., Chatsworth, Ga. Entertainment both days, Saturday car show, Sunday children's pageant; bring-your-own decorated pumpkin for contest, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. $3 ages 7 and older. http://www.blackbearfest.net/
- Harvest of Art: ArtCrafters Gallery (new location), 1356 Market St., Dayton, Tenn. Show and sale of latest works of Dayton Arts League members, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Meet the artists 1-3 p.m. Oct. 24. Free. 423-775-1401, 423-775-5122
- Bird & Barn Sale: Black Fox Farms, 2724 Varnell Road, Cleveland, Tenn. Vendors selling handcrafted goods, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday. Opens with VIP preview party, 6-9 p.m. Wednesday. Ticket information to be announced. Benefits Project Free 2 Fly. https://projectfree2fly.com/
- Appalachian Brew, Que & Stew Festival: Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds, 1311 Music Hall Road, Hiawassee, Ga. Beer from 25 craft breweries, arts and crafts, music, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. $35 if purchased online in advance, $40 at gate. www.georgiamountainfairgrounds.com
- Collegedale Apple Festival: Collegedale Commons, 4950 Swinyar Drive. Food, crafts, kids activities, commercial vendors, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Free. https://www.touchtheskyevents.com/
- Pumpkin & Spice Craft Show: Colonnade, 264 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga. Vendor market, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Free. https://www.kssouthernhospitalityevents.com/
- PumpkinFest: Courthouse Square, Dayton, Tenn. Shopping, food and craft vendors, music, games, costume contest, trick-or-treating. www.mainstreetdayton.org
- Jack-o'-Lantern Jamboree: Town square in Jasper, Tenn. Jasper Lions Club event, 4-7 p.m. CDT. Free. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fall and Christmas Market: Mountain Heights Venue, 1298 Hendon Road, Soddy-Daisy (atop Flat Top Mountain, 4 miles from Jones Gap Road exit). Forty vendors confirmed, mini photo sessions, food vendors, live music, children's activities, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Free. https://mtnheightsvenue.com/
- Christmas Market: Jones Memorial United Methodist Church, 4131 Ringgold Road. Benefit for children's ministry, 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Free admission. http://jmumc.org/the-christmas-market
NOV. 14-15, 21-22
- Mistletoe Market: North Georgia Technical College, 121 Meeks Ave., Blairsville, Ga. Christmas vendors, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturdays, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sundays. Presented by Mountain Regional Arts & Crafts Guild. Free. 706-896-0932
- Walker Farm Pioneer Days: Audubon Acres, 900 N. Sanctuary Road. Heritage celebration with hands-on demonstrations of pioneer skills, 9 a.m.-1 p.m. (by timed entry). $7.50 ages 4 and older.
- HoHo Expo: Chattanooga Convention Center, 1150 Carter St. Holiday shopping, kids activities, photos with Santa, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Free admission and parking. www.hohochatt.com
- Thanksgiving Craft Show: Gatlinburg Convention Center, 234 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, Tenn. Handcrafted gifts by local artisans, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. https://www.gatlinburgcrafts.com
NOV. 30-DEC. 6
- Christmas Craft Show: Gatlinburg Convention Center, 234 Historic Nature Trail, Gatlinburg, Ten. Handcrafted gifts by local artisans, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday. https://www.gatlinburgcrafts.com
- Christmas at the Colonnade: 264 Catoosa Circle, Ringgold, Ga. Vendor market, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Free. https://www.kssouthernhospitalityevents.com/
- Mistletoe Market: Collegedale Commons, 4950 Swinyar Drive. (Previously Christmas on Cambridge Square.) Crafts and food vendors, photos with Santa, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. https://touchtheskyevents.com
VIRTUAL EVENTS THROUGH SEPT. 20
- Tennessee State Fair: Nashville. In-person events canceled, but these virtual contests invite participation via YouTube or other upload: Animal Noises, Banjo, Guitar, Digital Photography, Ice Cream Eating, Funniest Pet Trick and Kids Coloring Book. Also a virtual Funnel Cake 5K to be completed Sept. 19-20 (register by Sept. 18). http://tnstatefair.org
- Yellow Daisy Festival: Stone Mountain, Ga. In-person events are canceled, but an online marketplace showcasing vendor wares will be available. https://www.stonemountainpark.com/Activities/Events/Yellow-Daisy-Festival
SEPT. 29-OCT. 3
- Autumn Children's Festival: Chattanooga. The At-Home Edition, including such activities as magic tricks, martial arts, cooking class and face painting lessons, will stream live via Facebook, 6-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 2, 9 a.m.-noon Saturday. For $20, participants receive an activity pail with supplies for the week. Pail pickups will be at a Walgreens parking lot (locations determined with orders). Benefits Chattanooga Ronald McDonald House Charities. https://www.rmhchattanooga.com/news-events/autumn-childrens-festival/
- National Storytelling Festival: Jonesborough, Tenn. Digital storytelling and special events. https://www.storytellingcenter.net/festival/
- Chiaha Harvest Fair: Rome, Ga. The Oct. 24-25 fair has been canceled, but an artist marketplace on Facebook is being planned. https://www.chiaha.org
- WTCI Family Day: Chattanooga. Details to be announced. https://www.wtcitv.org
NOV. 28-DEC. 20
- Rising Fawn Studio Tour: Rising Fawn, Ga. Replaced by online art sale on event's Facebook page. 423-243-7688, 423-227-0423
CANCELED OR POSTPONED EVENTS
* Art in the Park: Marietta, Georgia. Rescheduled for Sept. 4-6, 2021.
* Back-to-School Bash: Tyner United Methodist Church. Canceled.
* Balloon Fiesta: All seasonal events at the Sequoyah Birthplace Museum in Vonore, Tenn., have been canceled.
* Bats, Beer & Bluegrass: Fricks Cave Preserve, Chickamauga, Ga. Canceled.
* Battle of Tunnel Hill: Tunnel Hill, Ga. Canceled.
* Blue & Gray Barbecue and Festival: Gordon-Lee Mansion, Chickamauga, Ga. Canceled.
* Blue Ribbon Country Fair: Great Smoky Mountains Heritage Center, Townsend, Tenn.
* Boogie & Brews: McCoy Farms & Gardens. Signal Mountain. Canceled.
* Boom Days Heritage Celebration: City Park, Fort Payne, Ala. Rescheduled for Sept. 17-18, 2021.
* Christmas Market: Collegedale Commons. All Chattanooga Public Markets events are canceled. Only "Essential" markets are held weekly.
* Christmas Village: Tennessee State Fairgrounds, Nashville. Rescheduled for Nov. 12-14, 2021.
* Christmas Village Festival: Birmingham, Ala. Canceled.
* Cleveland Apple Festival: Cleveland, Tenn. Canceled.
* Colorfest: Mentone, Ala. Canceled.
* Craft Fair: Burks United Methodist Church. Canceled.
* Fall Arts and Crafts Festival: Ducktown, Tenn. Canceled.
* Fall Into Winter: Red Bank United Methodist Church. Canceled.
* Folk School Festival: John C. Campbell Folk School, Brasstown, N.C. Canceled.
* Fried Green Tomato Festival: Niota, Tenn. Canceled.
* Georgia Apple Festival: Ellijay Lions Club Fairgrounds. Canceled.
* Georgia Mountain Fall Festival: Georgia Mountain Fairgrounds, Hiawassee. Rescheduled for Oct. 8-16, 2021.
* GoFest: Chattanooga Zoo. Canceled.
* Great Locomotive Festival: Adairsville, Ga. Canceled.
* Halloween Bash Craft Show: East Ridge. Canceled.
* Hamilton County Fair: Chester Frost Park, Hixson. Canceled.
* Homesteads Apple Festival: Cumberland Homestead Tower and Museum, Crossville, Tenn. Canceled.
* International Cowpea Festival: Charleston, Tenn. Rescheduled for Sept. 11, 2021.
* Jackson County Fair: Canceled.
* Ketner's Mill Country Fair: Whitwell, Tenn. Rescheduled for Oct. 16-17, 2021.
* Labor Day at the Post: Fort Oglethorpe, Ga.
* Lake WinnepeSpookah: Lake Winnepesaukah, Rossville, Ga. Canceled.
* Mountaineer Folk Festival: Fall Creek Falls State Park, Spencer, Tenn. Rescheduled for Sept. 10-11, 2021.
* Mountain Makins Festival: Rose Center, Morristown, Tenn. Rescheduled for Oct. 23-24, 2021.
* National Muscadine Festival: Tsali Notch Vineyard, Madisonville, Tenn. Canceled.
* New Salem Mountain Festival: New Salem, Ga. Rescheduled for Oct. 9-10.
* Northwest Georgia Regional Fair: Cherokee Capital Fairgrounds, Calhoun, Ga. Canceled.
* October Fest: South Pittsburg, Tenn. Canceled.
* Oktoberfest: Chattanooga Market. Canceled.
* Oktoberfest: Crossville, Tenn. Rescheduled for Oct. 15-16, 2021.
* Oktoberfest: Helen, Ga. Postponed to 2021.
* Old McDonald's Farm Fall Festival: Old McDonald's Farm, Sale Creek. Closed for the season.
* Pioneer Days Festival: Cartersville, Ga. Postponed until 2021.
* PioneerFest: Camp Jordan, East Ridge. Canceled.
* Prater's Mill Country Fair: Varnell, Ga. Rescheduled for Oct. 9-10, 2021.
* Pumpkin Festival: Chickamauga, Ga. Canceled.
* Pumpkintown: Athens, Tenn. Canceled.
* Red Bank Community Chili Cook-Off: Red Bank City Park. Canceled.
* Red Bank Community Fall Festival: Red Bank City Park. Canceled.
* Red Clay Pow Wow and Festival: Red Clay State Park, Cleveland, Tenn. Canceled.
* Ride the Rails Festival: Mineral Bluff Depot, Mineral Bluff, Ga. Canceled.
* River Clay Fine Arts Festival: City Hall, Decatur, Ala. Canceled.
* Riverfest Arts and Crafts Festival: Etowah River Park, Canton, Ga. Canceled.
* Rotary Club Craft Fair: Patriot Park, Pigeon Forge, Tenn. Canceled.
* Sandy Spring Festival: Heritage Green, Sandy Springs, Ga. Canceled.
* Section Labor Day Festival: Section, Ala.
* Sweet Corn Festival: Autumn Acres, Crossville, Tenn. Canceled.
* Tennessee Craft Festival: Mountain Arts Community Center, Signal Mountain. Canceled.
* Tennessee Valley Fair: Chilhowee Park, Knoxville. Rescheduled for Sept. 10-19, 2021.
* Wags N Wheels: Chickamauga Dam. Canceled.
* White Oak Crafts Fair: Arts Center of Cannon County, Woodbury, Tenn. Rescheduled for Sept. 11-12, 2021.