ROBBERY PREVENTION TIPS FOR BUSINESSES
- Keep entrances well lighted
- Ensure the cash register is visible from outside the store so officers can see inside as they patrol
- Keep cash at a minimum
- Periodically test video surveillance equipment
- Consider installing an alarm system or video camera
- Mark the edge of the main doorway with tape to assist in obtaining an accurate height of robber
- Watch for suspicious people and people who are wearing inappropriate clothing for the weather
Source: Chattanooga Police Department
Armed robbers targeted two stores this weekend in a pair of robberies that police believe may be connected.
Police say two suspects wore hooded sweatshirts and covered their faces when they robbed a Kangaroo Express gas station at 1005 Hixson Pike around 11:20 p.m. Friday. And on Saturday, two suspects wore similar outfits when robbing a Family Dollar at 7307 Lee Highway around 9:30 p.m.
The suspects in both cases were similar, according to a public service announcement from the police department.
In the first robbery, the suspects were described as two slender black men, one about 6 feet 2 inches tall and the other about 5 feet 6 inches tall.
In the second robbery, one suspect was described as a slender black man about 5 feet 6 inches tall, and the other suspect as either a man or woman, about 6 feet 2 inches tall.
Police will be paying special attention to patrolling local businesses for suspicious activity and ask that anyone who notices anything out of the ordinary call 911 immediately.
Anyone with information on these robberies is asked to call 423-698-2525.map