This story was updated Wednesday, May 29, 2019, at 5:19 p.m. with more information.
Several Hamilton County commissioners are hosting public meetings in the coming weeks to discuss next year's budget.
Mayor Jim Coppinger is slated to propose the fiscal year 2020 budget on June 5.
Hamilton County Schools Superintendent Bryan Johnson has requested $443 million which includes a request for an additional $34 million in funding. Sheriff Jim Hammond has also requested about $5 million more in his budget, to raise officer pay among other initiatives.
The school district's request coupled with Coppinger's request for additional funding for a 5% raise for all county employees and additional funding for Emergency Management Services and the sheriff's office, could mean a 49-cent property tax rate increase for Hamilton County taxpayers.
Here's a list of upcoming public meetings.
- May 20 at 3 p.m.: Commissioner Katherlyn Geter is hosting an invitation-only meeting with District 5 stakeholders at Greater Tucker Missionary Baptist Church, at 1115 N. Moore Rd.
- May 20 at 6 p.m.: District 2 meeting with Commissioner Chip Baker and school board member Kathy Lennon at Signal Mountain/Middle High School, 2650 Sam Powell Dr.
- May 21 at 6 p.m.: District 8 meeting with school board member Tucker McClendon at East Ridge High School, 4320 Bennett Rd.
- May 23 at 5:30 p.m.: District 4 meeting with Commissioner Warren Mackey at Orchard Knob Missionary Baptist Church, 1734 E. Third St.
- May 28 at 6 p.m.: District 7 meeting with Commissioner Sabrena Smedley at Shelter Church, 9516 E. Brainerd Rd.
- May 28 at 6 p.m.: District 6 meeting with Commissioner David Sharpe and school board member Jenny Hill at the downtown Chattanooga Public Library, 1001 Broad St.
- May 30 at 3 p.m.: District 5 meeting with Commissioner Katherlyn Geter at Brainerd High School, 1020 N. Moore Rd.
- May 30 at 6:30 p.m.: District 8 meeting with Commissioner Tim Boyd at Brainerd Baptist Church, 300 Brookfield Ave.
- June 3 at 6 p.m.: District 5 meeting with Commissioner Katherlyn Geter at Brainerd High School, 1020 N. Moore Rd.
- June 6 at 6 p.m.: District 3 community meeting with Commissioner Greg Martin and school board member Joe Smith at Stuart Heights Baptist Church, 1505 Cloverdale Dr.
Boyd announced he'll hold another meeting on June 16, but the date and time have yet to be announced.
Contact staff writer Meghan Mangrum at firstname.lastname@example.org or 423-757-6592. Follow her on Twitter @memangrum.