Staff Photo by Tim Barber/Chattanooga Times Free Press - Sep 30, 2011 - The Franklin County Jail is located just south of downtown Winchester.

Authorities are awaiting results of an autopsy in the death of a 47-year-old Hillsboro, Tennessee, man who died in custody after he arrived at the Franklin County Jail last week.

Gary Lee Scott, of Henry Cove Road, was at a home on Chestnut Street in Cowan about 3:30 p.m. CDT on Sept. 5 when Cowan police got a call about a disturbance, according to a statement from Franklin County Sheriff's Office spokesman Sgt. Chris Guess.

When they got to the address, police encountered a man they later identified as Scott, who "appeared to be incoherent and confused," Guess said. Paramedics attempted to render aid but Scott "became combative and refused treatment from paramedics."

Police then headed to the Franklin County Jail in Winchester with Scott in the back of the patrol car, Guess said.

It's about 10 miles from the scene to the jail.

"Upon arrival at the jail law enforcement personnel did observe Mr. Scott, in the back of the patrol vehicle, to be unresponsive," Guess states. Officers performed CPR on Scott until paramedics arrived and took him to Southern Tennessee Regional Health System. Scott was pronounced dead at about 4:30 p.m. CDT.

Josh DeVine, spokesman for the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation, said the agency was asked by 12th Judicial District Attorney General Mike Taylor to investigate Scott's death, but DeVine said the state agency had little information to release.

An autopsy was performed in Nashville, DeVine said, but results from the examination are not yet available.

Cowan Police Department Chief Earnest Colvin declined to comment when contacted Monday.

According to his obituary on Central Funeral Home's website, Scott was a husband and father of six children who loved to cook for others. His funeral was held Monday in Manchester.

Contact Ben Benton at or 423-757-6569. Follow him on Twitter @BenBenton or at