University of Tennessee at Chattanooga senior Niklas Gerdes was picked as the first Southern Conference men's tennis player of the week in 2020. He began the spring-semester season this past weekend with 3-0 records in both singles and doubles, including a 6-0, 6-4 victory at No. 1 singles in the Mocs' opening 6-1 loss at Alabama.
* For the fourth time this season, Lee's Beyuan Hendricks from Baylor School has been honored as the Gulf South Conference men's basketball freshman of the week. Last week he totaled 26 points in two games for the Flames, who are tied for first place in the GSC. He scored 19 in a 86-84 loss at West Alabama.
* Dalton State senior guard Randy Bell was selected as the Southern States Athletic Conference men's basketball player of the week. As the Roadrunners, ranked sixth in NAIA Division I, won road games over two ranked conference foes, Bell averaged 27 points, 5.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 2.0 steals. Bell shot 67% from the field and 78% on 3-point shots.
* Morehead junior Jazzmyn Elston from Rossville and Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe High School was tabbed Tuesday as the Ohio Valley Conference women's newcomer of the week. The transfer from State Fair College in Missouri, where she averaged 15.9 points a game as a sophomore, scored 12 and 18 points off the bench against Tennessee State and Belmont and totaled seven rebounds in the two games.
* Despite building a double-digit lead and getting 16 or more points from four players, the Cleveland State men's team lost 98-92 to visiting Combine Academy on Tuesday. The Goats' comeback was fueled by a barrage of 3-point baskets. Jaquez Hicks had 22 points and 10 rebounds and Kerry Pratt had 20 points and four assists for the Cougars, while Jon Morgan contributed 19 points and six rebounds and Jakobey Hitchens scored 16 points. Demonte Person had seven assists.
* Covenant's women lost 100-58 to Berea in a USA South home game Tuesday. Hannah Monday and Ruthie Moore scored 17 and 16 points for the Lady Scots (6-11, 3-5), Monday with five blocked shots and Moore with four assists, and Cosette Kirsch had eight assists and eight rebounds. Berea is 16-2, 9-0 in the league.