Erlanger moves to convert Red Bank hospital into psychiatric facility

Staff Photo by Elizabeth Fite / The sun sets behind Erlanger North Hospital on Thursday. Plans are underway to convert the acute care hospital into an inpatient behavioral health hospital.

The Erlanger Health System Board of Trustees paved the way Thursday to convert the acute care side of Erlanger North Hospital on Morrison Springs Road in Red Bank into a 48-bed behavioral health hospital.

The board voted to approve a joint venture between Erlanger and Acadia Healthcare that would allow Erlanger Behavioral Health -- which is already a joint venture between the two entities -- to lease the north hospital.

Currently, Erlanger Behavioral Health Hospital includes a roughly 90-bed psychiatric hospital on Holtzclaw Avenue, just over 1 mile from Erlanger's main campus. Erlanger owns 20% of Erlanger Behavioral Health, and Acadia owns the remaining 80%.

Gregg Gentry, chief administrative officer for Erlanger Health System, presented the resolution at a monthly board meeting Thursday, saying that Erlanger North's emergency department, imaging, sleep center, children's therapy and physician's office building would remain in place.

"There