Two people died in a shooting and subsequent crash shortly after 8 p.m. on East 12th Street in Chattanooga.
Both victims were shot and sustained additional injuries in the crash, police said. They were both dead when police arrived.
They are the first homicides of 2017 in Chattanooga.
A car is piled on top of another vehicle after the crash, and the intersection at South Willow Street has been shut down as police investigate the incident.
A witness said one vehicle was being chased by another small car when they heard gunshots. The witness said the car being chased lost control and crashed, and police almost immediately descended on the scene.
Police have not identified a suspect yet. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call 423-698-2525.
Violent weekend in Chattanooga
- Chattanooga police to double number of officers targeting gang violence
- Chattanooga police to add 14 new officers to now 500-strong force after violent weekend
- Two shootings cap violent weekend in Chattanooga
- Violent weekend continues as police respond to person with gunshot wound at CHI Memorial
- Police: Chattanooga woman defends herself, others; shoots man trying to assault her
- Three days of gang activity yield gun busts, shootings, death of fugitive kingpin
- Police: Three women shot early Saturday morning on East 3rd Street
- Chattanooga gang leader Jumoke Johnson, 23, slain in a hail of bullets Friday night
- Shooting, crash lead to first two homicides of 2017 in Chattanooga
- Police officer discovers bag of loaded handguns in SUV with gang-affiliated teenagers