Gaston: 'Marse Henry' Watterson's journalism fame began in Chattanooga

Gaston: 'Marse Henry' Watterson's journalism fame began in Chattanooga

November 25th, 2018 by Kay Baker Gaston in Opinion Columns
"Marse Henry" Watterson (

"Marse Henry" Watterson (

Photo by

"Marse Henry" Watterson's fame began in Chattanooga writing for The Chattanooga Daily Rebel. That is also where he met his future wife, Rebecca Ewing, and his future business partner, Walter N. Haldeman, proprietor of the Louisville Courier.

Henry was born on Feb. 16, 1840, to U.S. Congressman Harvey Magee Watterson and his wife, Talitha Black. The family lived at the Willard Hotel in Washington and their family home, Beech Grove in Bedford County, Tennessee. Henry had vision only in one eye and very poor eyesight. His mother home schooled him until he was 12, when he attended the Protestant Episcopal Academy in Philadelphia. There he ran the school newspaper on a press his father donated. He was a talented pianist and began his professional career as a music critic for The New York Times. Later he wrote for The Daily States in Washington, D.C., where he became a protégé of Jane Cazneau, the first female war correspondent in U.S. history.

When war broke out between the states on April 12, 1861, Watterson went to Tennessee as a Washington correspondent for the Philadelphia Press. Although he was a Unionist who thought secession was treason, he was "thrown by circumstance" into Confederate service. He served as an aide to Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest and Gen. Leonidas Polk before being assigned to work as an editor for The Chattanooga Daily Rebel.

Franc Paul, formerly clerk of the Tennessee Senate, published the first issue of the Rebel on Aug. 1, 1862. It was widely read by Confederate troops and supporters throughout the South. In November the paper moved into the back rooms of the Bank of Tennessee in the 500 block of Market Street. Henry Watterson, the lead editorialist, began to publish scathing criticisms of Confederate Gen. Braxton Bragg. At a tea party, he went so far as to criticize Bragg to his face, although he may not have realized to whom he was speaking. The general was not amused. He notified the publisher that Watterson's criticism must cease, whereupon Watterson resigned for the good of the paper.

Among the Confederate sympathizers and refugees who poured into Chattanooga during the Confederate occupation was Walter N. Haldeman, proprietor of the Louisville Courier. He and Watterson became friends and, after the war, business partners. Another was Rebecca Ewing, the daughter of the Nashville politician Andrew Ewing, who would become Watterson's wife.

Read more Chattanooga History Columns

"She had a fine contralto voice and led the church choir," he reminisced in "Marse Henry, An Autobiography." They were seated in the Presbyterian Church on Friday, Aug. 21, 1863, a day Confederate President Jefferson Davis had named for fasting and prayer. Dr. B.M. Palmer of New Orleans was well into his prayer when the sound of artillery shells exploding on the roof signaled a Union attack. Unperturbed, Dr. Palmer continued to deliver what Watterson described as the longest prayer he had ever heard. After the benediction, Watterson wrote, "I was quick to go for my girl. By the time we reached the street the firing had become general. We had to traverse quite half a mile of it before attaining a place of safety."

Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans was advancing on the Confederates occupying Chattanooga. Col. John T. Wilder's brigade of mounted infantry had reached the Tennessee River across from the town and opened artillery fire upon it. Gen. Bragg ordered all non-combatants to leave Chattanooga and began withdrawing his forces to North Georgia. The Rebel evacuated the city by train on the night of Aug. 30, 1863. It printed a daily issue until April 2, 1865, when its presses were destroyed in Selma, Alabama.

Henry Watterson and Rebecca Ewing were separated for nearly two years. Watterson assisted with the burial of her father, who died in Atlanta on June 16, 1864, and served with Gen. Joseph E. Johnston in the Confederate army. After the war ended, Watterson worked for the Cincinnati Evening Times for several months before moving to Nashville to start The Republican Banner with friends. He was reunited with Rebecca Ewing and the two were married on Dec. 20, 1865.

Watterson moved to Louisville to edit the Louisville Journal that merged with his friend Haldeman's Courier in 1868, forming the Louisville Courier-Journal. Using the pen name "Marse Henry," he wrote colorful editorials that were distributed nationally and helped build support for U.S. entry into World War I. The Wattersons had five children and traveled widely while maintaining their home "Mansfield" outside Louisville.

Kay Baker Gaston is a regional historian and a former Chattanoogan. For more, visit

Getting Started/Comments Policy

Getting started

  1. 1. If you frequently comment on news websites then you may already have a Disqus account. If so, click the "Login" button at the top right of the comment widget and choose whether you'd rather log in with Facebook, Twitter, Google, or a Disqus account.
  2. 2. If you've forgotten your password, Disqus will email you a link that will allow you to create a new one. Easy!
  3. 3. If you're not a member yet, Disqus will go ahead and register you. It's seamless and takes about 10 seconds.
  4. 4. To register, either go through the login process or just click in the box that says "join the discussion," type your comment, and either choose a social media platform to log you in or create a Disqus account with your email address.
  5. 5. If you use Twitter, Facebook or Google to log in, you will need to stay logged into that platform in order to comment. If you create a Disqus account instead, you'll need to remember your Disqus password. Either way, you can change your display name if you'd rather not show off your real name.
  6. 6. Don't be a huge jerk or do anything illegal, and you'll be fine.

Chattanooga Times Free Press Comments Policy

The Chattanooga Times Free Press web sites include interactive areas in which users can express opinions and share ideas and information. We cannot and do not monitor all of the material submitted to the website. Additionally, we do not control, and are not responsible for, content submitted by users. By using the web sites, you may be exposed to content that you may find offensive, indecent, inaccurate, misleading, or otherwise objectionable. You agree that you must evaluate, and bear all risks associated with, the use of the Times Free Press web sites and any content on the Times Free Press web sites, including, but not limited to, whether you should rely on such content. Notwithstanding the foregoing, you acknowledge that we shall have the right (but not the obligation) to review any content that you have submitted to the Times Free Press, and to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content that we determine, in our sole discretion, (a) does not comply with the terms and conditions of this agreement; (b) might violate any law, infringe upon the rights of third parties, or subject us to liability for any reason; or (c) might adversely affect our public image, reputation or goodwill. Moreover, we reserve the right to reject, delete, disable, or remove any content at any time, for the reasons set forth above, for any other reason, or for no reason. If you believe that any content on any of the Times Free Press websites infringes upon any copyrights that you own, please contact us pursuant to the procedures outlined in the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (Title 17 U.S.C. § 512) at the following address:

Copyright Agent
The Chattanooga Times Free Press
400 East 11th Street
Chattanooga, TN 37403
Phone: 423-757-6315